Friday, February 26, 2010

The Art of Raunch

Can I appreciate the "genius" of Brian De Palma? Sure... I can definitely see how brilliant one must be to put elements together the way he did. Using Hitchcock's crazy camera skills, what seemed to be a general plot line from Blow Up, etc. and making it all work together to create one, fluid film is impressive. It reminded me of the way I was first enchanted by the way J.K. Rowling worked magic on Harry Potter or Ridley Pearson and Dave Barry created a background story for Peter Pan from thin air. Those stories are what made me have such an appetite for reading. The absolute brilliance behind the stories moved me. I wanted to find the brilliance within myself...

Did Brian De Palma's Blow Out move me? Heck no. I genuinely regretted being alive for all but one scene of the entire movie, and that was the three minute scene at the beginning where John Travolta is recording sounds on the bridge. The remaining hour and a half was near torture.

So, like I said-Techniques? Brilliant. Plot? Eh...There have been better, there have been worse. Acting? A little overacted at times, not terrible. So where exactly did this movie go wrong for me?.... I can't put my finger on it. I was really strongly against the vulgarity of the first three minutes of the film, the nudity, and the foul language. The rest of the movie could have been all hearts, stars, and rainbows....but that just ruined it for me. My mind registered "BOO!" and immediately turned off. I felt embarassed, uncomfortable, noxious, disgusted, and dirty. Donna said that De Palma would manipulate us. Those are all feelings that I don't think anyone should be made to feel. I think I feel a little betrayed by De Palma. How DARE he subject me to such crude material. UGH. So, there's strike one.

Strike two came around as soon as we met Sally. She was a weak, annoying, soggy piece of bread type of character. Plain. And. Simple.

Strike three? I was really annoyed by the fact that I didn't know what the heck was going on even after the credits rolled. I spent the entire duration of the movie in a state of bored confusion. I usually enjoy and consciously look for a good plot twist/unexplained detail. I really could have lived without finding out what exactly happened and who did what. The plot and it's inner workings were a bust, in my opinion.

Was it Brian De Palma's fault I didn't like his movie? Yes and No. He made directoral choices that I definitely didn't agree with, but the plot was a blow out.

1 comment:

  1. Haha..I'm with you on this one Jo. I did not like this movie in any way, except for the scene where he did the recording on the bridge. Everything else was urgh.....LOL...
    Good piece though. I love the way you wrote this.I could feel the passion and enthusiasm that came with it. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete