Sunday, January 17, 2010

How Channing Tatum Affected Hollywood

I found myself wondering in the shower after class the other day: Is there anything in my life that I could compare to what people experienced decades ago when movies hit the big screen? I couldn't think of anything off the bat. The way I imagine it... people were blown away by this thing called movie. An image. Huge. On a white screen. It's a pretty monumental jump to go from something as small and simple as a zoetrope, or theater with live people, or real life, even, to a larger than life moving image on an otherwise inanimate, boring screen. This. Was. HUGE. What new invention have I seen come to fruition that rocked the world as widely as film? Ipods, perhaps, are the only widespread new entertainment technology that has happened in my memory. Although, Ipods are not to me what movies must have been to the public way back when. Is this because the progression from walkman to Ipod was the natural next step? I'm not sure.

Learning about the history of film in the sweetened, condensed way that we did last week made me realize just how little I know about so much. It was refreshing to be knocked down on my intellectual rear end and be humbled once again. I was fairly impressed at the rapid pace at which humans have been able to make progress in the filmmaking world. It seemed like such a short span of time for us to move from the primitive stop motion of George Melies's The Conjuror to Footlight Parade with wild, aquatic choreography by Busby Berkeley. I guess I always imagined progress in Hollywood as slow, though now I don't see why.

I was struck by what Donna said about how old film reels are pieces of history because people didn't understand that they were being recorded. I immediately felt sad that now and forever, humans won't be able to treat cameras that way again. We've been conditioned to either run to the camera in hopes of being caught and published or hide from it or pretend it's not there, leaving us looking like suspicious and awkward creepers.

At the same time that it makes me sad that film has had this affect on humans, I'm also so grateful that movies have been a part of my life. When I was seven, I wanted to have hair like Ariel... so I layed in the bathtub for hours swishing my hair from side to side. When I was thirteen, I watched Tom Cruise do daring and dangerous stunts in Mission Impossible... so I organized a cross neighborhood spy game. When I was sixteen, Channing Tatum lifted his dance partner above his head in Step Up... so I fainted, then immediately wanted to drop everything, find a chiseled hottie, and become a professional dancer. There's no doubt that film has influenced my life in a number of ways.

I think I'll enjoy this class.

5 comments:

  1. Thoughts on new inventions.
    I agree that we probably just saw MP3 players as the next natural step. I can't think of anything that has been or will be invented that has or will surprise me.

    Oh, they invented a machine that types what we are thinking so that we don't have to type or even speak...I'm not surprised. (I don't think that really exists, but even if it did, I wouldn't be surprised!!)

    I am also with you about the intellectual rear end, it's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be interested in the work that Martin Scorsese has done. In addition to being a fine filmmaker (have you seen the trailer for Shutter Island? Brilliant!) Scorsese has also done extensive work on preserving film history. Youtube his speech at the 2010 Golden Globe Awards - you can tell he has such a deep appreciation of the medium. :)

    As for the experience of seeing a movie? Next came Star Wars. Next came Titanic. Next came Avatar. The cult film has always highlighted the familial aspect of going to see a movie in the theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw an article about a man who wanted to implant a blutooth device in your ear that you can just turn on and off. I think all the cancer research coming out will damper its popularity though. It's ridiculous everything that is coming out nowadays I feel like most of the newest innovation is veered towards laziness more so than entertainment value. Or maybe its purely the novelty of having the newest of everything.

    I totally swooshed around Ariel hair in the swimming pool when I was little!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to be Jasmine, and came pretty close (in my 9 year old head anyway), except for the being Arabian and a princess thing.

    It is hard to think of something that has knocked me off my feet as far technological advances go. It seems that our generation of instant gratification seems to expect to have new things being developed everyday. It's really sad though, because it's pretty obvious it means the majority doesn't appreciate the modern marvels that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm with you ... there's an aspect of seeing things done that are so beyond us, yet there's a human being doing them! (Sometimes with a little sweetening, of course.) It makes me optimistic about our inherent capacities as a species. Might be partly illusion, but I'll take it where I can get it.

    ReplyDelete