Sunday, April 4, 2010

Don't Disect It

This year is wrapping up, friends. Class from here on out isn't really even class. It's let's-get-together-and-pretend-to-talk-about-our-film-while-we-really-stare-at-our-watches-until-it's-close-enough-to-time-that-we-can-sneak-out-without-being-wiley-college-kids. Three hours is waaaaaaaaaay to long to do anything, let alone talk about our movie we're eventually going to make. I guess if we were one of the first groups it would be beneficial. We would be able to use our class time and time already alotted to being together to start editing things. That'd be really nice. I'm dreading taking extra time out of my schedule, especially so close to finals, to make a silly movie.

We watched Adaptation this week. I'm completely undecided about it. At first, I thought,"Wow. This is pretty good. A close second to Singin' in the Rain." But, by the end of it I wasn't so sure. It was fairly entertaining at points. Others, I once again felt really uncomfortable and grossed out. Why, OH WHY, does there have to be nudity/raunchy sex/masturbation in everything we watch? It does nothing for the film. Blow Out, Adaptation, and The Player would have expressed the exact same thing had they not had any obscenity.

Nicholas Cage did a good job. An acting job nothing close to that in National Treasure, but certainly better than that awful skeleton motorcycle movie. EEW. What a terrible mistake that was, Nick. Meryl Streep was as good as ever. I bet she's honors material. She seems too smart for her britches. The toothless guy was pretty legit too, it seems like he always manages to make me laugh.

We always talk about the geniuses behind these movies that we watch. We talk about all of this deep stuff that the directors/screenwriters plan far in advance that have some deeper meaning. For example, this week Camille (not knocking you, Camille) suggested that Nicholas Cage's constant fantasizing/masturbating was as outward expression of not being able to fulfill anything inwardly. Sure, it makes sense. But what if he just did it because it's part of his daily routine? My point is, I don't think everything has some secret meaning. Sometimes it drives me absolutely nuts when we try to find a point or a reason or an explanation for everything. Can't we just relax, be brainless, and enjoy?

Looked at next Fall's honors junior seminar options....definitely NOT taking the film class that's being offered. I think I'll stick to organic things.

No comments:

Post a Comment